The signing of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) in 1994 changed commercial trade between Canada, Mexico and the United States, creating one of the most dynamic regions in the world.
Here are some benefits that the NAFTA trade has brought since it went into effect more than 20 years ago.
- Growth of more than 500% of commercial trade between The USA and Mexico during the last two decades.
- During 2015, 72.2% of the Mexican automotive exports were to The USA and 10.1% to Canada.
- US commerce with Mexico and Canada grew 279%. In agricultural exports it increased 156%.
- The sale of Mexican products in Canada & the USA increased 7.4 times since 1993.
- Protection of intellectual property rights mainly benefits the chemical industry and computer software avoiding the plagiarism of the registered patents.
- Tariff elimination for products with National Goods status traded between the three countries. Before 1994, tariffs of 30% and higher were applied. It is required for the North American exporters to present a certificate of origin in order to apply for this benefit.
- Since 2008, all tariffs between the three countries were eliminated.
- Mexico became the largest manufacturing sector in Latin America. Currently, US contributes with 50% of the investment fund for Mexico’s assembly plants*.
- Canada has received more investment from USA in the automotive industry.
- Canada turned into one of the principal suppliers of oil to USA exporting about the 25% of the total consumption.
- Trade in the agricultural industry between Mexico and the United States grew 452% between 1993 and 2012.
- Exports from Mexico to Canada in the first 11 months of 2014 grew by 27.9 %, while Canada reported a growth in their exports to Mexico in the same period of 18.6 %.
- With more variety of products trade with less penalties, prices decreased and the diversity of goods increased ensuring outreach to higher quality.
In EP America we help companies making the most of these benefits on their imports and exports throughout the NAFTA corridor, ensuring a fast and reliable connection with their clients and suppliers.
For a free consultation contact us at 1-855-EPA FAST (372 3278) and we will be ready to assist.